Monday 22 February 2010

A Story of Faith: Wayside Community Centre

In the window of the Wayside Community Centre are copies of Reverend Jean's book, When God Intervenes. "We have a charity shop, a keep fit class for the elderly and help people with mental health problems – I just treat them as individuals," says Jean.
"Oh my god, when I first came to the shop, it was such a mess, derelict. It hadn’t been used for 15 years. Chatsworth Road was really down and a lot of the other places were closed down, closed for many, many years and it was really, really bad, you know. When we first came in here there was a big crashing sound of the ceiling falling in, the building was so shaky. The fire brigade came and all the shopkeepers came out and they couldnt really believe what I was doing. My family stopped talking to me and my husband said that everyone was laughing at me. I live in Powerscroft Road and have always been a local community member. It has involved a lot of fighting. I have gone through so much, but it has come out good. I really believe God sent me here."





No comments:

Post a Comment